Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Squishy purple plant

I am not a big fan of eggplant. In fact, I have yet to meet an eggplant I love. Something about the spongy, squishy consistency of the flesh combined with the almost hard unforgiving skin... yea, it's just not appealing.

Yes, I've tried it breaded and fried.
Yes, I've tried it in veggie lasagna.
Stir fry. Grilled. Broiled. Baked.
Done. done and done again.

Needless to say, when a ginormous specimen showed up in my CSA delivery last week I was less than excited. After a week of avoiding, I turned to the ever reliable pinterest for an idea that was different.

I came across this post:
Credit: CupcakesOMG - click picture for link




















And I thought, "Genius! Change the consistency!" So I immediately sliced my eggplant into a bunch of little rounds, covered them in olive oil and popped them into the oven.

My end result was not quite the same.


So, turns out you shouldn't cut them all that thin, they burn in half the time, and there's no possibility of turning.

With the next tray I sliced them a little thicker and they came out a little better.


I haven't figured out how she got them all crispy and curly in her pictures, but I'll take chips not burned to black gunk. So now, I've tried them and the verdict is, they're not bad. Definitely edible, and better than eggplant parmesan, that's for sure.

But I'm still not a fan of eggplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment